Toyota Motor Corporation entered India in 1997 in a joint venture with the Kirloskar Group, Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) holds 89% of the share and Kirloskar Group owns the remaining 11%. Toyota entered the Indian Markets with Qualis. The company then ventured into the mid-size segment with the Camry. The company Toyota Kirloskar Motor Pvt Ltd (TKMPL) according to its mission statement aims to play a major role in the development of the automotive industry and the creation of employment opportunities, not only through its dealer network, but also through ancillary industries with a business philosophy of 'Putting Customer First'.
TKMPL's current plant at Bidadi, Karnataka is spread across 432 acres and has a capacity of 110,000 vehicles per annum. TKMPL's second manufacturing plant on the outskirts of Bangalore, Karnataka has a capacity of 210,000 vehicles per annum. Both plants have a combined capacity of 320,000 vehicles per annum. On 16 March 2011, it announced that it was increasing production to 210,000 vehicles per annum due to increase in demand for its models especially the Etios and Fortuner.
Toyota India started a One make racing series in India with the Etios car called the 'Etios Motor Racing Series'. The series started in 2012, it witnessed an overwhelming response from the Indian youngsters, with 3300 applicants.